There are millions of software available on the internet, lots of them are free and lots of them are paid. Sometimes we thinks that only PAID software are good, but that is not true, there are lots of great software which are freely available on the internet.
Top Five free Software for IT Administrators.
7zip is one of the best free software for zip/unzip files. It does support lots of file extensions like .7z, .zip, .rar, .tar , .bzip , .iso.
7zip also have a strong command line interface too.
How to zip files using 7zip?
- Right click on the file or folder which you want to zip,
- choose 7zip and click on “file/foldername.zip”
- That’s all
Download Link : http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
Putty is the one of the best friend for administrators who works on Linux and Windows simultaneously. Putty is used to connect to Linux servers using SSH protocol. It also support Telnet, Raw, Serial and Rlogin protocols.
How to use Putty?
- Open Putty.
- Type the hostname or IP of the Linux machine and click on Open.
- Now it ask you to provide username and password on the remote linux machine
- Once you provide the username and password , you are in to the machine.
- That’s all.
You can download putty from this link: http://www.putty.org/
Notepad++ is a great replacement of Notepad. It had great inbuilt features. You can use it as simple text editor or you can also use script editor. It has color coding for HTML,BAT,VBS, XML and lots of other formats.
Batch File Coding.
Html color coding.
download link : http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
WindirStat is a must have tool for IT Admins. You can run this tool on a Drive and you able to see the folder size of all folders and even you can see which files are consuming most of the disk space.
How to use WindirStat ?
- Open WindirStat
- Choose the Drive on which you want to scan and click on OK,
- Once it finished scanning all folders, it will show you full report.
Download Link : http://windirstat.info/